Today’s five words are from one of the stories Mom has been working on these days, while I sit around staring at her or playing by myself like an animal.
9. Vacation – Mom and I do not go on vacation very often, but when we do, I like being the hotel doggie. Everyone is excited to see me walking through the lobby and hallways. Plus it’s exciting to sleep in a new bed.
When you’re a writer, there is no vacation from “work.” Mom’s work is listening to conversations, watching things that happen around her, getting fun ideas, and reading stories.
54. Shiny – Our apartment is shiny and new. The sunshine is shiny every morning in our balcony door.
Sometimes the shiny floor is covered with so much dog hair Mom says it looks like a rug. Is that bad? Rugs are nice…
Mom polishes up her stories before she sends them anywhere. Stories should be shiny before anybody sees (judges) them.
47. Trees – Trees are meant to be climbed. Squirrels live up there. I have tried many times to climb a tree. No luck. Mom says, “A story is like a tree.” and “It needs solid roots to grow up tall and strong.” and then she calls me the nickname of Doofus.
2. Door – Mom wishes the door would open and somebody would let in one of her stories. Till that happens, she will keep on knocking. Once my tail got caught in the door and a little piece of it broke off and fell onto the living room floor. (insert Mom’s freak-out here)
I had surgery and wore bandages for a LONG time. Now my tail is fine, but a little shorter. Plus I still hesitate all the time and don’t rush my tail through the doorway because apparently I “have learned NOTHING from that experience.”
16. Peek – I watch Mom all day long. Sometimes I flat out stare at her,
and sometimes, I just take a peek to see what she’s up to.
She complains that I look at her all day, but how would she know that… unless SHE looks at ME all day!?